Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Making good progress

There is a lot to do!

When I started over last time, took a few months break and came back to it, I was amazed at exactly what I had done to the mesh.  So it gave me motivation to finish, or at least move on.

But I was thinking, man, I will never go thru that again... and yet... here I am.  :)

It's worth it tho.  This track alone is the mother of them all, and SimBin did such an astonishing job at recreating it with mind boggling accuracy, I must pay tribute to both the track and SimBin's work.

So, at the moment, I'm redoing the topology a bit, so that I can easily add loops later on, so that the loops go thru the road edges and curbs as well, and reducing in the grass behind.

This is the original untouched mesh for the dottinger hohe area:



And this is what I'm working on at the moment:



And here is something I found on youtube, a very nicely made comparison between GTR Evo and real life Nord.

Don't focus much on the scenery, but keep it on the roads...  it's pretty darn good :)


2 comments:

  1. I watched only the first part in sync.

    The shape, elevations, banking, all seem spot on. Event the scenery, trees hills, are close.

    What seems to be missing though is the bumps. Some bumps are right there in both, but the real car is visibly oscillating, almost all the time, the in-game on does it sometimes.

    Will you be able to add that to the road mesh based on such vids? I can't imagine technically how to do it safely, but man, that would be awesome. Would add a whole new dimension to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could certainly give it a try!

    At the moment, I've gained enough skills on the track, both this one and com8 to run a few laps, until out of fuel, without crashing. (well I will sometime crash before running out of fuel, but still... )

    I figure that if the track would be as difficult as it is in real life, I wouldn't be able to do so, not without at least training more.

    I would certainly like to have proper damage on the braking zones and other crucial spots.

    However, as I've heard in my rF2 thread so far, regarding the general roughness of the real track, when we see videos like this, where the cam is bolted solid on the stiff frame, it adds a lot of vibration, some of these might also come from the engine.

    I believe the view we have in cockpit simulate a bit the head physics and "soften the view" as you would normally experience while standing in such a car.

    It's gonna be tough to adjust properly, but I will certainly give it a shot.

    I'm confident about the braking zones and other spots I have in the Nordschleife pdf guide.

    I could also add some slight random variations here and there to simulate uneven surface, that might do the trick.

    ReplyDelete