Friday, July 25, 2014

Development news

Not much to say, other than check this out!









So, what do you think?  I'm currently doing something I wanted to do for a while, and I had started on the rF2 version, but never finiished it up as it might have been too much.  But I still have a lot of room for additional stuff in this version, and the AC engine might cope better with heavier track, I dunno.

EDIT:  I got grass outside guardrails from the paddock to quiddelbacher-hohe, not inclusively.  It really looks stunningly beautiful and render the track almost photorealistic.

This grass is one of the texture I got from gametextures btw.  It is an amazing piece of grass with retarded normals.

Just imagine if I could get them to do the trees we so need, plus some other textures....  aynone willing to donate to let me subscribe for 2-3 months?  Well, we would start with 1, but I doubt they can get (and would) do all these requests within 1 month.

Please, it would be nice if you could voice your opinion on the matter, if you would be interested or not.  I'm not trying to make a profit, and if you have followed me during the rf2 days, you know that everything went right back into the track.  So I would let you know when I have the amount reached, and it's up to you if you want to make a donation past that point.

And here are a few more of these sweeties!









7 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Can you post a video of it while driving?
    I'm concerned it would hit severely my fps. AC with grass is something my computer does my take well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyways, would be happy to test a grass version see how it goes :)

      Delete
  2. With the donations, I think you should make it more transparent, in the sense that you set a goal and the level reached. Is it feasible? How many ar enjoying your work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, you are right, there isn't enough people that have it now to make it happen.. I didn't thought about that yesterday... oh well :)

      Hard to know exactly the number, but I would think I have sent the share to 20-30 people or so.

      Delete
  3. As far as performance is concerned, I haven't noticed any drop so far.

    As I mentioned, we have quite a bit of performance to spare. If v0.18 was running great for you, then I would think that you should have no problem running the grass version.

    The road mesh for v0.18 was ultra dense. With polys smaller than 1m in size for the most part. The road mesh we have now is a lot less dense, so I'm probably using 1/4-1/6 the number of polys for the road I was using in v0.18.... so we have a lot left until I reach the poly count I had for this road!

    So far, grasses on both side of the guardrails from paddock to hocheichen take only 460k polys.

    By comparison, the track is now using 55k polys where in v0.18 it was using over 200k.

    Also the grass objects are split with each objects having around 8k polys, so there won't be a ton of these loaded at all times. The game will lod in and out as needed and I believe that having the full track (compared to what I have now) won't reduce much further performance. But I could be wrong and hit some sort of poly cap limit, I dunno.

    But the base mesh of the track, althought many times more detailed than com8 is still a lot less complex and detailed than the meshes we see nowadays in recent tracks. If you look at a track like ISI's silverstone where even the fences are modelled...

    I'll try to make a video later today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and don't forget I will be able to remove the actual scarce 3d grass objects, which takes 245k polys... ain't too shabby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All sounds very promising! The grass looks really cool!
    This track is evolving really nicely. Hope more will come to enjoy it. At Virtualr they posted the news about PC Gamer giving GTR Evo for free, I hope that people will stop taking themselves so serious about this and enjoy the mod.

    ReplyDelete