Sunday, July 6, 2014

Mesh video

Not sure if that is the kind of stuff you guys like, but I'm really proud of the mesh I have pulled together for this version, and since I have little else to show you at the current time, I thought that some of you might like to see the progress as it's being made.

So you will have an idea of how things are going, how fast things move, and about when to expect it to be done.

At the moment, it's hard to take a guess, things are going rather good at the moment, and I have finally found out how I will be laying things out with the mesh density I wish to have.

I doubt it will be anywhere before at least a month, and I doubt I will be at it for 3, so anything in between maybe?  We'll see...  I really wish to get things done properly this time as I wish to finally win the war against cracks!  Those damn cracks that's been bugging me ever since I started!

v0.18 is acceptable crack wise, at least when you race, and during the day.. but other than that.. when we'll have proper replay cameras, the cracks will be a lot easier to spot... so I'd like things to fit perfectly together.  And I have come to understand that no matter what you do, if you have a vertex sit on an edge without it being connected to another vertex, when detached, this will create a crack.

I know it's not the most exciting video, but if you like that kind of stuff, I guess you will appreciate it!  There is an hercule amount of work in this.  Have a look at the start of the video, on the left, you will see an area barely touched yet, I only orgaanized the edges a little, but the resolution is original.

All edges and vertices are moved by hand, and lots of flow connect, cuts, insert vertex, connect, relax, smooth, etc..  Trying to get as even distribution as possible, starting with a totally uneven mesh.

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice vid!

    A rookie question, as I would also like to do some basic tracks to drive on. Shouldn't there be more vertices across the road, to allow for road camber and bumps?

    There was a screen of a track vertices on the AC forum, COTA if I remember it well, and the bumps in a turn were looking like ditches,stripes along the turn, of course not perfectly parralel with it, but rather long, 10-20 meters. I wonder if that's a realistic replication of how the real asphalt deformation looks like in reality. Nevertheless seemed nicely made.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you are right, there will be edges in the center of the road. 7 of them actually. Like there is in the road mesh of v0.18.

    However, for the time being, since I work with all the road mesh and then some, I want to keep thing as low poly as possible so it doesn't lag my 3dsmax as much.

    Another thing I found out, if I smooth the road a bit prior to adding the edges in the middle, I will get a smoother surface.

    At the moment, the road is perfectly driveable and about as smooth if not a little more than v0.18 for the part done. So adding the middle edges will make it even smoother. I'd like to minimize the vibrations at high speed in steep hills as much as I can. Seeing this also happens in the default tracks, I think I cannot get rid of them completely, but I'll do my best to minimize them as much as I can.

    A good reason is, my girlfriend sleeps next to me when I work at night, so when I need to test the track past midnight, the noisy feedback is waking her up. It wasn't as much a problem with the rf2 version, as it was more quiet.

    I needed to start detaching things, cause there is a maximum of 65k vertices per object limit in AC, so to keep on loading the track in the editor and in game, I had no choice. So I cut out the far scenery, and about half the track as well.

    As for the road camber, you dont really need more than what I have now to tilt the road on one side or another, you see this in nordkhere already, the camber switches. This was already like this before I worked on it, and there was no middle edges initially. Now there is in v0.18, but unless the track have two different cambers for inside and out, you dont really need middle edges.

    For bumps, you definately need them. But AC dont need them as much as rF2, because of the groove texture that requires a rather tight poly distribution so it looks good.

    ReplyDelete