Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sadly, need to let go of the grass

Well, first let me share the pain with you!














So yeah, it is with big sadness that I need to let go of that sweet motherload of grass!

Yesterday, when I was going originally as I first showed you, I crashed the editor trying to load the .fbx.  At first, I thought it was 64 bit, but it turns out it is only 32bit.  So I maxxed out the editor while having a scene that is too heavy.

I played a lot with the settings of ForestPack pro trying to find out if I could use slightly less blades to reach a uniform look, and I was able to skim it a little bit.  So I restarted from the paddock, and this time, I didn't do full grass sides, along the hills, I just did the hills, and made it about to Miss Hit Miss, and I could still go on about to werhseifen, but knowing the editor crashed a 145mb .fbx file, and I was at 130 at miss hit miss, with some large hills to cover until werhseifen, and even larger after... I had to come to realize this won't be possible at the moment.

Not until a 64bit version of the editor and game is released.  That really blows. Knowing this, I really wonder how Kunos will manage to make this track look alive with plenty of track side objects, decent trees (not like the cheap nurb circuit with a variety of 3 trees or so) grass and so on...  I'm scared... might not be what I was thinking it would be.

But there is still faith with rF2.  I think the 64 bit version is released now, so likely is the plugin, I will need to catch up a bit and see if I can make my dream nord happen over there... with plenty of trees and grass everywhere.

I'm down now... seeing how good it looked... can't believe I have to let that go...


7 comments:

  1. Hi,

    you can try this tool: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

    Patch the Editor´s exe with this tool and it will be able to use more RAM. Maybe this will help you to open your FBX file.

    Good Luck
    Steffen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steffen,

      Thanks for the tips, it is likely to come in handy at some point or another!

      However, regarding AC' I doubt that it will be of any help, since I was barely halfway of the track with the grass, and I believe the 2nd half would have taken more grass to cover than the first.

      So I will rather wait until the 64 bit is released, probably somewhere around their own Nord release I would think.

      Then I'll give the grass another shot.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that. Grass looked stunning! Hope you'll find a way to overcome the problem - whether it be with AC or rF2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have better hopes with rF2... when I did my forests in rF2, I also tested the grass (billboard grass) and it was using a lot less polys with billboards then the way it is in AC.

      Not sure exactly why AC doesn't support billboards, as it is by far the best solution for distant trees and vegetation.

      As for the billboard grass, since it must not overlap on each other, since it will flicker, the tiling is a lot less dense, but since they all line up and you obviously see no gaps, it looks about the same too, plus you don't get some bad angles... well you do, but in different ways than the AC style. It's when you get further away from top position... but when seeing things from cockpit, it is just perfect.

      So, when I will be converting it to rF2, I will certainly give it another shot!

      Delete
    2. And with two sided mats, I need half the polys to make a blade... 1 poly with billboard, versus 2 without.

      But as I need to lay many around in all angles, some aren't even visible.. and this happens 360 degrees around.. there is always some that are hidden since you see only the side of it.

      It's like the way the groove is done in AC... it requires a duplicate of the road mesh set a bit on top, with the groove texture mapped to it... so if you were wondering why we had no groove in Nord, now you know :) I believe the amount of polys needed would be far too much for the benefits it would add..

      It's not like the track feels like it's green like in rF2... one can have plenty of fun without it in AC, and isn't as much needed I think...

      I wish they would implement a road shader that enables the groove in a texture stage like rF2 does... its odd to see AC coming out so much after rF2, and not having taken any of those better features from it... why re-invent the wheel if you aint going to make it better...

      Delete
  3. It's not he end of the world, the track looks good already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know! Maybe I didn't expressed myself properly, I didn't meant to sound depressed, even tho it was enough for me to stop working on the track that night... I went back to it the next morning (yesterday) and did the 0.26 update.

      But I was really optimistic about it. Everytime I loaded the track in game with a new section in, I expected performance to drop and drop, but it wasn't exactly like so. It seems the performance never really dropped down much, so I wasn't expecting this to happen, at least before the game started to look like more of a slideshow... but it never did.

      But the error message I get is coming from dot.net, so I dunno...

      It would really have taken the track to another level tho!

      My plan was to cover the sides behind the rails and hills with this grass you've seen, and I wanted to do the inside of the rails with another shorter grass.

      Since the hills are rather steep, I had no choice to use a longer grass so I wouldn't use 10 mil poly to cover what I needed to.

      But when things are levelled, I could have used a shorter grass with a slightly less dense distribution and things would have looked awesome!

      Delete