Monday, July 28, 2014

v0.26 available in the share

After taking notice of PCGamer giving away free GTR Evolution steam key, I have decided to share the BTSync key with you guys.  I won't go out and advertise it everywhere, but you are free to give it away to your friends, and let it know on your favorite forums.

The BTSync key is: BY2YPYOYFTKP3MPOKKODKKLSQA4WTBSNT

If you need help setting up BTSync, let me know in the comments section.  This is a torrent type sharing, so it's recommended you keep it up when you can to help me seed the downloads, but you aren't required to do so.

So what's new in v0.26?

Quite a couple of things.  After coming to conclusion I couldnt do the grass yesterday, I decided to fix a couple of things that's been bugging me for a bit.

For example, there was a treeline sticking out a bit too much in flugplatz that was seen when you entered quiddelbacher hohe on the right.  Another on the left as well.  Fixed them so they don't stick out anymore.

There was also a floating treeline in flugplatz (from flutplatz) on the right.. due to when I smoothed out the landscape a bit.  Pushed it back to ground.

There should be a noticeable performance increase.  When I worked the mesh, I merged everything together, and when I splitted it out, I wasn't very careful about object sizes, because the track ran as one object anyway.  I believe the performance is better now.  I splitted everything back to small pieces, making sure to split them as I did in rF2 so things should LOD properly when you enter a new section after taking a corner, things should disappear from view nicely around.

I haven't ran a benchmark but I have a good feeling it is up quite a bit.  I'm sure my replays were laggy a bit before, and now they are fine.

Let me know how it goes for you.

I have also fixed the two ambulances that were pitch black, and the opc banner in breidscheid.  Turns out there was two of these objects sitting on top... so that's why there was a section looking different, it was the other sticking out.  Now it looks all good now.

I also fixed the bilstein bridge.  There was a missing banner and it turns out the bridge is made of two different object, and the import must have messed it up, so I fixed it so it doesn't flicker, and show off the banner properly.  There was a huge block of concrete sticking out, I'm not sure if it was meant or not, but I resized it so it is below the fences... I doubt it is meant to be the other way...

I thought it was some shadow object, not meant to be rendered, but if I deleted it, the bottom part below the banner disappeared, so it seems to have been made so it fills this part.. .but I wonder why it was so huge, sticking out past the fences.  But we didnt see the fences, cause its part of the other objects, and it was in the huge concrete block.

Should all be good now.

While splitting out the outside terrain, I noticed I had messed up my detaching a bit, and some curbs part were part of this outside terrain object.. so I re-attached those polys back to the curb object they should belong to, and fixed the mappings.

I would love to hear about what you think of the replays as well :)  Haven't heard anything so far!

EDIT:: Two important things I forgot... I have fixed the grass mat in the gp area, it was not configured as the mapping was much too small anyway, so I fixed both the mapping, and assigned the Multilayer shader to it.  Also updated the tarmac in the same area to the new values I use elsewhere.

And I removed all vibration_length from the surfaces.ini.  I originally had no choice to use it since the surface wasn't smooth enough, but I did some testing, and it can now be disabled.  So the FFB is better now, a tad more responsive.  You will certainly notice it.

EDIT2:  If you want to share the BTSync key, please share the article on my blog instead of the key directly.  This way, people will know where to go afterward to comments or if they have problems, etc...  Thanks!



3 comments:

  1. What do you think of those 3d grass/bushes on trackside? I kinda don't like them, don't really know if it would be better to remove them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are certainly scarce compared to the density I toyed with, but removing them would make it look empty quite a bit. There might not seems that much, but there is around 250k polys for those grasses. Knowing each take 4 polys, as they are in X, and need to be duplicated since otherwise they would be invisible on one side, so there is over 50k of those 3d grasses objects.

    And for some reasons, it looks better than if I go for a lower density grass style I was aiming for. It seems this is the right amount for the job actually. Any lower and you might as well not put them in, and anything in between this and what I showed you don't look that much better either... I'd say worse...

    I could redo a quick patch with a lower density and show you what I mean... under certain angle it looks alright, but in some other, it doesn't look so good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look quite bad when paying attention to them, but I'm pretty sure that in motion these or any other details on the tracksides help the perception of speed.

    ReplyDelete