Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tree conversion progress

Some trees are a bugger to detach...  some trees have their bark as a separate mats, but some have it right with the tree texture, so when detaching it by mat, those barks stays right with the tree.. and I don't want this cause if I keep the trunk in the object, the editor messes it up when doing its grouping stuff and the trunk doesn't have the right mapping in game.

So I need to detach all those trunk one by one, and the mountain at breidscheid is a pita..  the large elevation changes and amount of trees makes it hard to select only the trunk to detach them.

Anyway, here is what I have done so far... quite a little bit after all, but I was thinking of finishing today, but might be tomorrow or the day after, depending on how the rests goes.. the tree models are highly varied...



The highlighted layers are the different kind of trees I have done.

I have also added a few things on the blog, such as random onboard lap video on the nordschleife at the top, and an handpicked selection of videos (by me) in the right bar.

Below the articles, you will find the most popular 3 posts.

And also added the send articles by email button as well.


3 comments:

  1. Hi pleclair,

    I think I have figured out why the hotlap timing is broken with your map. Other addon tracks (and probably the default Kunos tracks too) have objects AC_TIME_1_L & AC_TIME_1_R as well as AC_TIME_2_L & AC_TIME_2_R whereas your nordschleife track does not. I am guessing that these other points act as checkpoints spread around the map so that a lap is only considered valid if you pass through all three points. The absence of these checkpoints means that AC is considering the laptime valid if your pass through the start/finish line (AC_TIME_0_L & R).

    If you add these in, I am guessing all will be fixed. Love your work... keep going! :) Looking forward to your next release

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you must be right. I had created these at some point, but it got lost when I reloaded an earlier max file. They should be in some Max files somewhere, I'll import them back.

    Thanks for investigating the matter for me. I might not have noticed the missing time objects, as I knew I had already created them.

    The track map works nicely and is really nice! Thank you very much! It should be helpful for those learning the track, I would have loved having this last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the trees are getting pretty good now :) I'm almost done. Well, that would be if you consider I have only two mats left to process... but it turns out it's the two harder one... and I didn't kept them for the end willingly... it just happened this way.. the last few before those two went really fast, so I was kinda hoping the same, but it turns out it's the bushes... but they are labelled as tree branches...

    I have to do most by hand, cause they are rather close to each other, with size varying a lot... so I cannot automate the attach with gmat much... argh...

    I have seen the trees tho in game, and tuned the brightness, and finally things are getting great I should say. It really changes everything.

    I was able to raise brightness quite a good deal because of the better tree shading, and things looks like they should now. 8 and 18 o'clock don't look like 5-6 20-21 anymore.

    I have made the treeline normal map a bit more from the top most gradient, and kept the bottom about the same... they are now a bit brighter on the top, and a bit darker on the bottom. They are looking pretty good actually.

    If the bushes don't have the best of me, you might see an update somewhere this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete