Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Development news

Well, I'm happy to announce that the vln and 24h will be a reality afterall.  On monday, I was trying to get the gp surface up to par a bit, and replace the default texture with the one I'm using elsewhere.

However, the spline mapping went horrible with the default track mesh, and I tried to replace the texture packaging it more closely as the original was, and the groove inside the texture itself made the tiling horrible.  Since there was more details in the replacing texture, it also revealed many spots were the tiling wasn't contiguous and basically it just looked real bad.

After applying a strong high pass filter to the texture, I was able to get rid of the groove mostly, and then it became alright.

However, I had a real problem mapping the groove.

So I was bummed out, cursing at myself not knowing what to do, and I started writing a post about it, saying I wasn't skilled enough to move on... but I didn't published it.  I knew next morning would come, and I would look into it again, and maybe find a solution.

The original track mesh had a lot of tris since the design of the corners are more complex than those in nord, so I overhauled all the surface and made it all quads.  Then the spline mapping went just right.

Took a bit of time, but I made it thru.  So I was also able to map the grooves as well.  The surface is also smoother to drive on.

Here is a lap on it with the e30 group a.


The trees and treelines are also fixed, I had it done before working on the surface.

Now I'll need to get the curbs and materials up to par with the rest, replay cameras, ai and grass, and it should be pretty good!

The whole surface is done btw, so doing the 24h layout will require even less time to do.  Basically new corner grooves (the base is all around track), new replay cameras and ai and that's it.


5 comments:

  1. Wohooo this is so great, thank you very much!!!

    Can't wait to drive the 24h layout. Are you doing it with the full Mercedes Arena or with the shortcut leaving Mercedes Arena out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome!

    Actually, as I mentioned before I don't know this part of the circuit much. I was going to include the full gp circuit with the 24h, but I did a bit of research this afternoon, and it turns out its not what you are speaking. The 24h layout is the gesamstrecke and is used with the shortcut and bypass the arena.

    I'm looking at the map itself, and I'm wondering what is this layout you are speaking of, cause I cannot visualize it... the gesamstrecke seems already complete to me, and I dont even see a shortcut being used.

    Things are moving nicely, I have upgraded a bunch of shaders today, made some spec maps, etc, repositioned the timing objects properly, and this time, I figured exactly where they were in gtr evo, so I relocated them to where they should be.

    When I first did the sectors, I wasn't able to figure out where they were in evo, so I used the reference from the com8 layout.

    Turns out sector 1 is right after adenauer and the 2 is right after the karussel. Makes a bit more sense.

    Previously, it was set to the yokohama bridge and right at the steilstrecke passage (on the other side, past the karussel)

    On the next tourist update, I will also change it to where it should be. So sector times will be comparable for all layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other hand, I also searched for the sudschleife, and it seems to be still 70% there today, its now used as local roads to the mullenbach village etc... There is a 2010 video filmed on what remains, and I heard it may be brought back to life.

    I have also looked at some old 60-70s video on it, and it's too bad its been ditched... 28km of track should have been most interesting, and this section seemed fast flowing as well.

    I believe the name green hell comes from the sudschleife actually, if I understood properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the 24h-layout -> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Circuit_N%C3%BCrburgring-2002-24h.svg/2000px-Circuit_N%C3%BCrburgring-2002-24h.svg.png

    ReplyDelete