Monday, August 4, 2014

Development news

Well, we might just be able to get grass on the hills as well.

Today, I have finished up the hills around track to the same density I showed you, and after finishing and splitting objects, and spending like 15-20 mins to import (its now crazy long), the editor crashed.

I have removed the section from ex-muhle to steilstrecke, and the editor was able to load the 260mb .fbx file.

At 280mb it crashes.  With full grass, I was up to 300mb, and after removing the stretch I just mentioned, I tried to find out if I could keep it and skim elsewhere, and wasn't able to skim to reach 260mb.

So I'm giving it one last shot.  I'm just stubborn.  This time I'm using quite a bit less grass to do so.  I wanted to do a gradient like effect in my grass before, but didnt quite managed to do it properly, but I found out how now.  So only the bottom, where usually the inclination is steeper, is more dense, then it starts to fade a bit, so it cuts quite a bit in the poly usage.  Using somewhere around 33-50% less poly, so I think I should be able to give a generous coverage as I previously did and be able to load it up.

Don't worry, I'll release 3 versions, a grassless, another with the inside grass only, and the ultra grass version for people with beefier computers.

I'm also adding a slim line of longer grass around the guardrails as well, but not nearly as dense as the regular grass, so there is a lump of grass here and there clumping on the guardrails.

Then I'll look to add some wildflowers here and there, think it would add a lot to the visuals.  I know I've spotted white and purple ones around the real track, but I havent looked carefully for those yet.  I know I've seen some purple flowers around the inside of the kleines karussell.

If you are familiar with this, let me know which color of flower I should be looking to add.  Kind would be nice, but I'm not sure I will be able to match exact kind.  Colors would be good enough I think.  As long as its wildflowers and not growing in tropical regions, we should be fine :)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, I think some grass will really make it more lively.
    Looking forward to the next version.

    ReplyDelete