Monday, June 30, 2014

Here is what you are driving on!

To fully appreciate the mesh you guys are driving on, I think you have to see it for yourselves, you will better understand:


Here is the original evo road mesh, once quadrified only.  As you can see, the polys in the straight are huge, more than 10m in size for the largest, and those in corners are much smaller, around 2m in size depending on the corner.


This is the new road mesh:



As you can see, I went to great extent to make sure the polys are as evenly spread out as possible.

I did the length edges first, so when I did the width one after, I was eyeballing on the edges in the middle of the road to make out square polys as much as possible.  At some point however, I noticed the road width was changing, and if I kept on doing square polys in the areas the road got larger, I would have ended up with polys more than 1m in size, and I wanted to be around 0.6-0.8.. so they are this size for most of the road, going up to 0.9ish or so... never sampled an edge above 1m.  0.94 was max I believe.

This surface will work wonders with the rf2 grooves later on ;)  My previous rf2 surface wasn't optimal for grooves.


For reference, here it is in its latest form:


This was done by applying a large scale mesh smooth on the road surface and a tessellate after.  Much quicker, but....  it is what it is.  But I didn't knew better back then!



2 comments:

  1. Cool! At this level of mesh resolution, will you be able to add realistic bumps to copy the standing out patterns from the real track, or it doesn't work this way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to have a uniform distribution. If it happens to be a bit too large still, which might happen in the areas where the edge on the length side is 0.9m or so, but at 0.6-0.7, I would think it might be usable for ripples in the braking zones and such. As there is no potholes I believe, all I will need is some sort of ripples, soft bumps and so on, so in the worst case, I would need to double the edge in a given area to define it twice more, and at that level, I could work pretty much anything I think.

    At the moment, I'm quadrifying and preparing the terrain mesh on the side of the road for some major work, adding more resolutions and connecting every vertices of the road to the edging, and reducing geometry as I go toward the scenery, as I did with my rf2 convert.

    I won't have to smooth out as much the landscape as I did before tho, I can only see maybe 2-3 locations I would smooth a bit, other than that, it's already pretty good.

    The next update might take some time to come in, unless I do some other stuff in between and decide it's worthy for you to have!

    ReplyDelete